Thursday, September 06, 2007

Leaning on Christ

It's been a tough week. I am a full-time seminary student at SWBTS and work part-time at my church. My wife lost her job at the end of last week and we are trying to cope with the difficulties of paying bills and finding her a new job. I am already beginning to see how God is using this time to strengthen our faith as we wait on Him for my wife's new job.

I was encouraged earlier today when I visited one of my favorite blogs. Monk-in-Training quoted Psalm 37 at length. It's interesting because that is one of the passages that has been on my mind over the past few days.

A few verses in particular have given me great comfort and assurance that everything is going to be ok. Psalm 37:5 says, "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act."
Verses 23-25 also speak to me:

23The steps of a man are established by the LORD, when he delights in his way;
24 though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the LORD upholds his hand.

25I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.


These verses remind me that God does care for our physical, spiritual, and financial wellbeing. He wants us to submit ourselves to Him, and when we do, He does bless us, because He ultimately wants what is best for us, and He knows what that is, even if we don't.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Matt,

You are right about time in seminary being tough. We had four years at Southeastern, and were forced to rely on the Lord the entire time. While it is good to have to depend on Christ for everything, that certainly doesn't make it easy. Keep plugging along. I'm sure God is pleased by the sacrifices that you and your wife are making. I'm also glad to see that you are looking into military chaplaincy. We need as many biblical chaplains as we can get in our military.

Eric